For many years this enchanting place was owned by the monks, who lived in the adjoining Dominican convent of Basilica of Santa Maria Novella. in 1612 the Pharmacy workshop opened its services to the public.
The fame of the Santa Maria Novella pharmacy quickly spread beyond the borders of the Tuscan Grand Duchy. in 1667 it was mentioned in the book Bellezze della città di Firenze which stated that the products of the Pharmacy were famous all over Italy.
The next private management has been able to maintain this centuries-old history and preserve all the wisdom accumulated over centuries of aromas activities. Its history which dates back to the 600’ activities makes it one of the oldest pharmacies and perfumery in the world. Today we can still admire it in all its splendor.
Start the tour of this amazing place by its historic rooms, painted and furnished with the finest art collections: the Old Apothecary, with all the furnishings and original decorations, the laboratories of the Green Room, Water Room where the monks used to aromaterapia and much more… after the ancient pharmacy rooms we can visit the ancient cellars, where here we stare amazed at the machines once used for the processing and stills (halfway between alchemy and science), the vessels of brass and bronze, the splendid pharmaceutical containers of majolica decorated.
But there is much more to be discovered! The Gardens… a heaven of 15,000 square meters that date back to the monk traditions: the Hortus conclusus.